Tuesday, March 30, 2010

R.I.P. JOHN NEAL



I used to walk past this fountain on market street in sf all the time...I still do. Only now when I walked past I am thinking of John neal.

John and I met around 13 or 14. He lived about a mile or less from my house by the Wawa. We became pretty tight through are formative impressionable years until I was about 19 or so. Around that time we started hanging in different circles. He always told me if I ever stopped being his friend he'd kick my ass, and he was a big dude... extreme at times...but in all ways...extremely intelligent..extremely charismatic... extremely one you want on your side when shit goes down... everything in excess. Our whole crew kinda rolled like that back then. Unfortunately like a couple others of us Neal never made it to a brighter path...

The last time I saw John neil was a block and a half from this fountain on market street in front of carl's Jr. in a NY Giants jacket that looked like it was from 81, selling packs of double A batteries. I grabbed him some lunch and we caught up for a bit. It's hard to hear about and even harder to watch when one reaches a point where hey can't come back from. A couple months later I received the news of John's death. This fountain was his final resting place...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, We find that it is hitched to every thing else in the universe." - John Muir


No comments:

Post a Comment